Craftsy

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Grandma's Chest

When my husband's grandmother passed away we inherited her kitchen cabinet. It is not a Hoosier Cabinet. It was an inexpensive cabinet that they think was purchased from the Sears catalog.
When it first arrived we were living in a small house and it lived in the garage.  A couple of moves down the road and it made it into the house.  My youngest daughter always loved it and it lived in her room for quite a while.  It has been painted white, I tried to strip it, I painted flowers on it, and it has never gotten the respect it deserved.  Last summer I attempted to make amends to the cabinet.  I painted it with quality chalk paint and polished it with two kinds of wax.  I did not take any before pics of it. This makes me sad because the before/after pictures would have been amazing not  because of my talent but because it had been so abused by the last set of movers.
Here she is,  the old white chest (as she was called for many years at our house)!
 These pictures are a little brighter than I thought.  I guess I got carried away with picmonkey.
The quilt folded on her was my husband's grandmothers quilt.  I love red and turquoise together.
 I had a hard time deciding on knobs.  The original knobs got lost in some move.  I tried cute colored knobs but they seemed silly on this no nonsense cabinet. Finally I stained wooden knobs to match the counter top.
 I painted the inside white along with the counter back splash.  I had not reason for this I just liked how it looked.
This chest is only living at my house until my daughter has enough room for her.  She always loved the chest and will take good care of her.  I am enjoying her while she is mine, with her beautiful coat of paint.

Her first link is going to be: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/  I always have my new posts ready for Wednesday and Savvy Southern Style.  I get such good feedback when I party here.
http://bebetsy.com/2013/09/16/brag-22/ is also where I like to party on Tuesdays!http://www.dagmarbleasdale.com/2013/09/thrifty-vintage-finds-link-party-9/

19 comments:

  1. I love your grandmas cupboard! Red and turquoise is my favorite color combination also. The quilt adds the perfect touch. I would love if you linked this to Share Your Cup Thursday!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love this! Found you on Chic on a Shoestring and so glad I did! Please link this post up to Stylish Friday Finds! My readers would love to see it!
    Karen
    http://www.astylishinterior.com/2013/09/stylish-friday-finds-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that color combination, too. Great job. Very pretty piece. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That color is gorgeous. I would have loved to have seen the before & after pics. I bet they would have been super inspiring!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this blue and your accents really pop! Pinned to my farmhouse board. I had a great auntie with a cabinet in her kitchen similar to this:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too with the feedback from SSS:) I love the aqua and the red together also, your daughter will love to have it in her own home someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the kind words. Comeback this week. I am posting my desk redo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome! Love the color combo too. Always adds such a boost to any room. I actually got a similar cabinet from a job I was at. It was a freebie and needed much repair. It has had many different coats of paint over the years. I am really considering painting it with a chalk paint now. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh How nice. I love the colour. These old style kitchen cabinets are really making a come back. At one time we couldn't give them away. Like most things I suppose. If only we had room to store everything until it made a come back. Lucky you did hey?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love that little chest! It doesn't matter if it came from Sears or wherever...it has sentimental value and that's why these things are so precious to us! I have a couple of old cabinets that have been passed down through the family and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Love the turquiose too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet piece - love the color - knowing it was his grandma's is what makes it special -I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love your hoosier, how fun is that. Looks fabulous in the blue. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Color! Found you on Lovely Ladies Link!

    Shelly
    minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your post @DearCreatives I love your chest its so pretty! & it's so special to have those keepsakes. Hope you drop by the party again soon! & I'd love it if you added mine to your party page so others can drop by. Thanks, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sweet. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. so cute.
    came here via Catch as Catch Can @ MRL
    http://www.myrepurposedlife.com/2013/08/catch-as-catch-can-135.html

    I like the colors of your cabinet. It is nice to have a family piece.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Turned out beautifully. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you link up this week.

    ReplyDelete